- “ The ability to perceive and express emotion, assimilate emotion in thought, understand and reason with emotion, and regulate emotion in the self and others. ” (Mayer, Salovey & Caruso)
- Managing ourselves and handling relationships.
- EQ influences ORGANISATION EFFECTIVENESS.
Benefits of EQ
- As much as 80% of adult ‘success’ comes from EQ (Daniel Goleman, 1995)
- 75% of careers are derailed for reasons related to emotional competencies; including inability to handle interpersonal problems; unsatisfactory team leadership in times of difficulty or conflict; or inability to adapt to change or elicit trust (The Center for Creative Leadership, 1994).
- 85-95% of the difference between a “good leader” and an “excellent leader” is due to emotional intelligence (Daniel Goleman, 1998).
- Social and emotional abilities were four times more important than IQ in determining professional success and prestige (Feist & Barron, 1996 cited in Cherniss, 2000).
- The reasons for losing customers and clients are 70% EQ-related (e.g. didn’t like that company’s customer service) (Forum Corporation on Manufacturing and Service Companies, 1989-1995).
Increasing the Emotional Intelligence of individuals will enable organizations to reach greater heights… in many areas such as leadership, team-building, customer service, sales and communication.